Friday, October 12, 2012

Children of the Broken Heart

I don’t think I have quite understood the depths to which a heart can break.

Sure….my heart has broken many times before
And maybe your heart has not just been broken, but truly decimated...
     so many broken promises, 
     vows shattered
     betrayal ... of those you thought loved you

There are friends that don’t call anymore, just because they’re busy.
Friends that stop being friends….just because they do (what is that?)

But when your heart is broken, before you even knew, before you had a thought to call your own. Before you knew your own name or that you even were...
How is that possible?

Oh it is so possible.
I am intimately familiar with that "fracturing of the heart."
We, Norb and I, have held, listened, wept over ... 
Ahhh!!
The broken heart of a child, one who is conceived out of a “moment” in life, one who is given the chance at that life but not given the chance to share that life with the one who carried him…or her.

That’s the kind of broken heart that only God truly understands
I can't grasp it. My parent-heart can love but I can't grasp this...

In the womb, before birth, a bond is made. A trust is formed because that's just how it should be. My mama's heart screams for that to always be so ... 
"I won't ever leave you. I will protect you forever!"

Such grief.
When sickness, death, addiction, illness, or just the absolute honest inability to care. These are the many reasons. Some so selfish, some so necessary, but all so difficult. The result... a heart is broken.

I have read the following words many times before. I've read them as they pertain to me, my life, my Being Known and I have treasured them.

before there was a single word on my tongue...
when I was being made in secret...your eyes saw me

Those words ... that Truth right there ...
It knocks Betrayal and Abandonment off of it's caustic, demanding self-made pedestal. It brings Brokenness to its proverbial knees.

He sees the Before, During and After abandonment…and He chooses to never, EVER abandon!!

The broken heart is not from the God who allowed the conception
The broken heart is not caused by the God that gave that sweet little life it's first breath

He is the mender, the healer, the I-will-never-leave-you-EVER God!
Before we were a thought... we were on His mind.



1 comment:

sfitz said...

I get this, and I love it. :)